And so it begins…
It all started with the ma and pop goodbye:
Watching them cry made me sad, but strong simultaneously. My father, whom I’ve seen weep 3 or 4 times in life, began to tear up but wouldn’t let me nor himself get emotional. He finally understood my dream, I felt… validated. So pop handed me a hundred bucks, gave me a great big hug, and said be safe. My mom was quite the trooper too. They looked precious, I love them so much. Security check went surprisingly smooth and I looked back one last time to see my viejos wave like cute little tourists… precious.
And now to the plane! I lucked out, the nice check-in lady hooked me up with a 3-seater all EMPTY. So for the next 14 hours I was able to lie down (not TOO comfortably), but no complaints. Believe it or not, it wasn’t bad at all. I took Dramamine, plus Airborne, and wore two anti-nausea pressure point bracelets… so I was good as far as the upset stomach goes. However, my dear friends, Dee has gotten sick AGAIN! (Was it the temperature change from Miami to New York? The weird, one second its 21 degrees the next 58 in Jersey? Oh well, I’m downing DayQuil and my multi-vitamins like no tomorrow AND getting 8 hours of sleep minimum!) So on the plane, I was pretty sicky delirious. I knocked out for a couple hours (only :o( since I was hoping for 8) And then our gourmet dinner feast was served:
*Oh but be not fooled by the Corsiva-esque fonts and the mouth-watering adjectives… for theyre a facade for the plate of microwaved border-line dog food/NASA astronaut mush about to be placed on your little tray.
At least every seat had its own mini TV screen where you can watch movies (Bee Movie, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and some other cool Japanese drama movies), play video games, watch live satellite positioning of the plane, etc.
Okay! Now for the juicy part of the story… so I get off the plane lookin all diva jet setter-style, get through the immigrant gates no problem. My bags were the first 2 OUT of baggage claim, and now through customs.
Japanese Official: Hello, how many bags?
Me: 3.
Japanese Official: Hmmmm. (Counts the 3 huge over-sized bags and then sizes me up)
Japanese Official: How long are you staying for?
Me: Excuse me? (Lean in and he repeats) I’m sorry, I went deaf on the plane.
Japanese Official: How long are you staying for?
Me: Ah, 3 weeks.
Japanese Official: Is it all clothes?
Me: Oh yes, and lots of shoes (giggles)
Japanese Official: You’re okay, you can go.
Me: (Smile and…. arigatou!)
And now, to find the bus to take me from Tokyo Narita Airport straight to the station in Yamanashi. I changed my "dollar dollar bills yall" to Yen and go to the ticket counter. I asked the dude, “Is this where I get the ticket (kippu) to get to Yamanashi?” He replies, [Yes yes, here here.] I say, [Uhhh, okay.] [3000 yen] *Pulls out yen* [Right outside please.] I make a quick call to the office and let them know I'm on my way--they'll send someone to pick me up at the station when I arrive.
As I’m waiting outside I start soaking in the fact that I'm on the other side of the planet... and the bus immediately arrives. I'm chillin enjoying the sights on the bus and suddenly I get this "feeling." The kind of feeling where you think you might be in deep shit and have no idea what's gonna happen. So I ignore it and grab the magazine in the front seat pocket and start browsing. I come across a map. And this map shows the route that the bus is taking. And this route is NO WHERE near where I need to be. This bus makes random stops at hotels within Tokyo. So, after 20 minutes of being on the highway, and far from the airport Dee begins to get a weezy feeling. No sweat babe! I just tap the shoulder of the only other non-Japanese person on the bus (its okay she stepped on my foot earlier and we became friends) and asked about the bus' route...
Looks like I'm already lost and I haven't even been in the country for an hour. The bus driver said to get off the next stop if I wanna go to Yamanashi, so I did. Now, here I am in the middle of busy/crazy Tokyo with my 200lbs of luggage in 3 different bags (unmaneuverable), cell phone-less, disoriented, no idea where to go, and dying of exhaustion, a cold, and sleep-deprivation.
My first instinct was to crawl up into a ball in a corner, cry, and nap on my luggage. But then I shook it off and went up to this guy around the bus stop and told him that I NEED to get to Kofu-City in Yamanashi! He directed me to the train station across the street. No biggie, easy.
Now try to carry luggage twice your weight through the streets of Japan. I'm Dee, Superwoman, athlete, Leo the Lion, Queen Bee... I can do it all! Hahaha, no -_-
Guys! This was the hardest thing I've ever done in my LIFE. And you guys know that I've endured insane amounts of physical PAIN. Multiply the journey by 3x because of the friggin luggage.
But let's be positive because that was my mindset at the time. I make it all the way to the ticket office and the guy doesn't speak a lick of English. I explained where I need to go and he says, Sorry not here. And he offers no help...
At this point I got a lil sad. I didn't know what to do or where to go. I just kept thinking how it was supposed to be an easy hop on a bus from the airport STRAIGHT to my apartment in Yamanashi... but no not today. Ladies and gentlemen, this was the beginning of an expedition... an expedition that had to start this way, all full of hardship and struggle, to show me how it's gonna roll for the time that is to follow. And now I may be feeling defeated but soon I will come to say, "Bring it!"
Next step was to find a phone and try to get in contact with my boss, Nori-san. I saw this innocent little highschool girl who smiled at me. Immediately, I said, "Hi, Eigo ga wakarimasuka?" (Do you understand English?) She replied, "Yes!" WOOHOO! So I got her to lend me her cute pink cell and I called the office. Nori gave me precise step-by-step instructions on how to get to the station in Yamanashi from where I was. I felt relieved... until I looked at my bags again.
I bought my ticket for 200 yen (2 bucks), and got started. I dropped my bags a total of 27 times, 3 individuals helped on the way (A sixty-something year man, a younger one in a business suit, and a young girl). Other than that I put on quite the show there in Toyko Station. I also went up 5 flights of stairs, down 4, slipped, once, and rested 8 times.
I finally made it to Shinjuku station where I needed to catch the bus. Except it was no where to be found. No one was helpful or much less understand me...
I went outside trying to find this mysterious bus station and I saw the most beautiful sight I've ever witnessed in my life. I felt my eyes were deceiving me, for such a wonder could not be true. I saw... white people. There they were walking past me leaving me speechless without a thought in mind. Suddenly I yell, "HEY! Wait! Do you speak English!? Please!" They ignored me at first as if I was some solicitor, but the handsome fellow turned around and that was when I said in utter despair... "Help me! Please...."
These 5 beautiful, wonderful, amazing, cheerful Aussies (4 male, 1 female) found out for me where the station was, while I rested and chatted. They then helped me carry my luggage there as we laughed and exchanged stories. I now wish I had grabbed their info or something (especially the second one in the back there) to thank them again, but all I have is this photo. They were true God-sent angels to me in that moment because I was ready to collapse an give up... PEOPLE, if I hadn't worked out a day in my life, played football, danced, done yoga, push-ups, AND lifted it would have been over. It's like all the training I've ever done was useful in this ONE event. This was the ultimate test of mental and physical strength. I kept pushing when I had nothing left. Thank you cute friendly rugby-playing boys from Australia... you saved little Dee that day.
And so I bought my ticket for the 8pm ride, found another pair of cute little school girls and bumped off their cellie, waited in the cold for an hour and a half, got on bus, dozed off 8 times, and spoke to cute old man next to me:
Old man: Where are you from?
Me: New York
Old man: Ah, Yankees.
Me: *Hehe* Hai (yes) *point to Yankees cap*
Old man: Ah, Mastui desu.
Me: Yes yes, Hideki Matsui... iida.
Made it to Kofu station in Yamanashi by 10:30pm (I landed at airport before 3pm).
I put my bags down with my swollen black and blue manicure-destroyed hands, sit and wait... I then here, "Diana-san?" Yes! It was Nori-san! We threw my bags into the car, headed to 7-11 to get my survival kit to live for a night, and headed to my cool new apartment. I got my key and company cell.
This is the point where I pass out from exhaustion... but what I don't know yet is that I will be hit with severe jet lag/time zone change syndrome over the next few days.
And so ends the tail of my trials, struggles, and adventures... and this is only the trip getting here.
*Stay tuned for "Getting Started," coming soon.

3 comments:
Dee,
What a crazy day in Japan, ne? I'm so glad you got to go there. I'm just finishing up my Masters here in Syracuse University and then off to get my PhD in educational psychology. I've been busy teaching statistics and Nihongo...I do have skype so if you'd like to talk sometime, please let me know. My skype is drkonakamura ^_^ So just let me know and I'll talk to you soon. I'll write more when get to talk on the phone. Muahs.
-Ruff
*I'll explain more when we talk on the phone. Haha Grading, watching tv, and typing = me with bad concentration haha
WOMAN you couldnt blog on the myspace page like the rest of America? *whip* *whip* *whip*
OMGIMISSYOUSOMUCH COMEBACKRIGHTNOW! Thats a direct order. I'll send in a rescue team to bring you back to the big cars, big clubs, big comfy beds that dont bruise you, and good greesy NYC pizza! XD~ Hey how much is a ticket to Japan? I'll come visit you for a week once I get settled into Fort Meade. XD Alright my cell phone # will never change and you know 235364 different ways to contact me if you have to. Lemi know if you need anything! love uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu mow. ~nirusan
Post a Comment